Held on the beautiful University of California, Santa Cruz campus, this workshop provides professional instruction in the field of Adaptive Optics by speakers renowned for their contributions to this interdisciplinary field. Appropriate for scientists, engineers, researchers, and technicians at the graduate level and above, this workshop combines lectures and hands-on laboratory activities.
* Introduction to Adaptive Optics
* Geometric and Wave Optics
* Atmospheric Turbulence
* Adaptive Optics control theory
* Wavefront sensing and reconstruction
* Deformable mirror technology
* Instrumentation for Adaptive Optics systems
* Adaptive Optics system design
* Adaptive Optics system simulation
* Measuring AO system performance
* Applications of AO, including biology and astronomy
* Scott Acton, Ball Aerospace
* Kerri Cahoy, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
* Michael Fitzgerald, University of California, Los Angeles
* David Fried, Independent Contractor
* Donald Gavel, Laboratory for Adaptive Optics, UC Santa Cruz
* Olivier Guyon, Subaru Telescope / University of Arizona
* Joel Kubby, University of California, Santa Cruz
* Claire Max, University of California, Santa Cruz
* Nicole Putnam, College of Optometry, Midwestern University
* Lisa Poyneer, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
* Reed Riddle, California Institute of Technology
* Donald Wiberg, University of California, Santa Cruz
* Robert Zawadzki, University of California, Davis
Registration open through July 15, 2014
To register, please choose from one of the following categories:
• Invited Speakers & Laboratory Staff
(Summer School Staff Only)
Fees & Other Details
General Fee Information
• Industry & Educational Partners: The conference fee is $2,200. The cost to stay on-campus (definitely the most convenient)—including meals and a parking permit if needed—is: $725 single or $650 double-occupancy per person for the week. An extra night is available for early arrival or late departure (August 2 and August 9) for $145 single-occupancy or $130 double-occupancy.
• Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Fellows: The conference fee for graduate students and postdocs is $650 and includes double-occupancy lodging, a parking permit if needed, and meals for the week. Single room: add $75. An extra night is available for early arrival or late departure (August 2 and August 9) for $145 single-occupancy or $130 double-occupancy.
• University of California Faculty & Staff: discounts may apply. Please contact the CfAO for details.
There is a 10% service charge for processing refunds if the request is made before July 7, 2013. All registration fees will be forfeited for cancellations after July 7, 2014. Note: Substitution of a comparable participant is acceptable at any time.