UC CfAO Fall Science Retreat 2010
Thursday, October 28 – Sunday, October 31, 2010
UCLA Conference Center at Lake Arrowhead, California
Daily Agenda with Titles/Speakers
2010 List of Attendees
The Fall Retreat provides Center members, affiliates, and invitees with a forum for sharing their current research results, for planning collaborations, and provides an opportunity for informal interactions. Adaptive Optics topics on the agenda will include Astronomical AO (both AO for Extremely Large Telescopes and Extreme Adaptive Optics); AO for Vision Science and Biological Imaging; Education; and other innovative areas within the scope of Adaptive Optics and its applications. Both AO technologies and AO science will be discussed.
Career Development Workshop: Mentoring Undergraduates, A Framework for Planning and Advising Projects
The Institute for Scientist & Engineer Educators (ISEE) and the Akamai Workforce Initiative (AWI) are in the process of developing workshops aimed at mentoring and advising undergraduate research projects. The session is open to all retreat participants. It will be of interest and applicable to both scientists and engineers, and to graduate students, postdocs, and faculty members. Please check “yes” on your registration page if you are interested attending this workshop.
Laser Technology and Systems for Astronomy Workshop: immediately following the retreat. Typical discussion topics include:
• Status of the telescope LGS AO projects.
• Component technologies.
• Methods of beam transport, projection, and uplink correction.
• Field experiments: experimental results and proposed experiments.
• Laser / sodium interaction physics: theory and model development.
Because space is limited, this workshop is by invitation only. Click here for more information on the workshop. To request an invitation, please contact Don Gavel at email@example.com or 831-459-5464.
RETREAT DATE & TIME
• Arrival: Thursday afternoon October 28, 2010
* Poster set-up and Retreat registration start at 3 pm. This evening there will also be dinner and a plenary session followed by a Social Hour.
• Departure: Sunday, October 31, 2010 after lunch
• Laser Technology & Systems for Astronomy Workshop (By invitation only. Contact Don Gavel)
• Education Workshop will take place during the retreat itself.
CONFERENCE CENTER DIRECTIONS & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
The UCLA Conference Center (located at Lake Arrowhead, California) is about 90 (mostly freeway) miles from Los Angeles (two hours) and about 50 miles from the Ontario Airport (1-1/2 hours).
• Driving Directions from Southern California
• Driving Directions from the Ontario Airport
• Driving Directions from the Los Angeles Airport
The closest airport is the Ontario Airport (ONT), a 90-minute drive to Lake Arrowhead. Southwest Airlines offers many direct flights. An alternate airport is the Orange County Airport (SNA), a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive to Lake Arrowhead. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is a 3-hour drive to Lake Arrowhead.
The Super Shuttle will take you to the UCLA Conference Center from the Ontario Airport. The cost is much less with each additional person that travels on the Shuttle, so we suggest booking with others from your institution. For example, the cost is $97 each way for the first person from the Ontario Airport to the UCLA Conference Center, and $9 for each person thereafter. Cost from the Los Angeles Airport to the UCLA Conference Center is $130, and $9 for each person thereafter. RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE IN ADVANCE, so please book online, or by telephone: 1-800-258-3826 once you have your travel group assembled. (If you do not have a group, but would still like to use shuttle services, call the team at Super Shuttle, and let them know you will be attending our Retreat. They may be able to group you with other Fall Retreat attendees.)
**Please note: the Super Shuttle does NOT service The Orange County Airport**
If you plan on driving yourself to Lake Arrowhead from the airport, we suggest scheduling your flight with other attendees so that you can share a ride. If you need assistance finding a carpool partner, please email the CfAO Main Office for a list of other attendees in your area.
If you have questions, please contact the CfAO Main Office by email or by calling 831-459-5592 or 831-459-5711.
List of Attendees:
• Brij Agrawal, Naval Post Graduate School
• Mark Ammons, University of Arizona
• Dave Andersen, NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
• Oscar Azucena, UC Santa Cruz
• Gary Baker, Lockheed Martin, Palo Alto
• Sandra Balderas-Mata, UC Davis
• Jérôme Ballesta, Imagine Optic
• Christoph Baranec, California Institute of Technology
• Thomas Bifano, Boston University
• Thomas Bloomfield, Dod Directed Energy Branch
• Kevin Bock, Lockheed Martin
• Antonin Bouchez, Giant Magellan Telescope Observatory
• Corinne Boyer, Thirty Meter Telescope
• Matthew Britton, the Optical Sciences Company
• Rick Burruss, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
• Evert Cooper, LMCO
• Carlos Correia, NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
• Ian Crossfield, UC Los Angeles
• Celine d'Orgeville, Gemini Observatory
• Tuan Do, UC Irvine
• Gaspard Duchene, UC Berkeley
• Dennis Elkins, Evans & Sutherland
• Brent Ellerbroek, Thirty Meter Telescope Observatory Corporation
• Tom Esposito, UCLA
• Bautista Fernandez, UC Santa Cruz
• Greg Fetzer, Areté Associates
• Don Garner, Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.
• Don Gavel, UC Santa Cruz
• Luc Gilles, Thirty Meter Telescope
• Amir Give'on, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
• Venkata S. Rao Gudimetla, Air Force Research Laboratory
• Dani Guzman, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
• Michael A. Helmbrecht, Iris AO, Inc.
• Adam Hickenbotham, UC Berkeley
• Lisa Hunter, UC Santa Cruz
• Joe Janni, AF Maui Optical and Supercomputing Site
• Luke Johnson, UC Santa Cruz
• Dae Yu Kim, UC Davis
• Joel Kubby, UC Santa Cruz
• Renata Kupke, UC Santa Cruz
• Lawton Lee, Lockheed Martin
• Claire Max, UC Santa Cruz
• Rosalie McGurk, UC Santa Cruz
• Katie Morzinski, UC Santa Cruz
• James Murray, Areté Associates
• Richard Myers, Durham University
• Jerry Nelson, UC Santa Cruz
• Andrew Norton, UC Santa Cruz
• Suman Pilli, UC Davis
• Lisa Poyneer, Lawrence Livermore National Lab
• Rachel Rampy, UC Santa Cruz
• David Redding, JPL
• Mark Reinig, UC Santa Cruz
• Reed Riddle, Caltech
• Jenny Roberts, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
• Simon Rochester, UC Berkeley
• David Rodriguez, UCLA
• Gene Serabyn, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
• Jerome Shaw, UC Santa Cruz
• Xiaodong Tao, UC Santa Cruz
• Mitchell Troy, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
• Curt Vogel, the Optical Sciences Company
• Lianqi Wang, Thirty Meter Telescope
• Don Wiberg, UC Santa Cruz
• Sylvana Yelda, UC Los Angeles
• Robert Zawadzki, UC Davis